Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Hospital Consultation


About a week before surgery, a nurse from the hospital calls to go over health history and any special considerations.  I filled out a health history form beforehand so the conversation was pretty quick.  She asked questions about allergies and negative reactions to anesthesia and then gave some advice about my time in the hospital.  She said that they are very concerned about the body focusing all its energy on recovering, so if I ever feel pain above a 3 on a 0-10 scale, I should use the painkillers.  She also mentioned that to help clear the anesthesia from my system to do 5 minutes of deep breathing in and out every hour.  This will clear it out of my lungs and help me be less drowsy.  And that I should keep this up for a few days post-op as well.